- Muscle cramps are usually caused when muscles contract with great intensity before it has the opportunity to stretch out again. Many people are affected by this at night and is generally located in the calf and feet. Muscle cramps occur more frequently in older adults than in younger people. When children experience muscle pains it is most times considered as "Growing Pains."
- Muscle cramping is commonly due to an imbalance in the bodies level of electrolytes. There are vitamin, minerals, and EASY at home treatments that can be of help for this problem. However there can be other underlining medical problems and illness that are causing cramping as well.
Vitamins and Minerals for Muscle cramping
- Potassium for metabolizing calcium and magnesium.
- Calcium and magnesium dificiencies usually cause night leg cramping.
- Vitamin E improves circulation especially with varicose veins.
- Vitamin D need for calcium uptake.
- Malic Acid for production of energy in the muscle cells.
- Vitamin B complex for improved circulation and cellular function.
- Meadow sweet valerian, and skullcap help to relieve muscle cramps.
- Lobelia extract rub on affected area helps to relieve spasms.
- Valerian Root relaxes muscles (take at bed time.)
- Drink plenty of fluids especially water to ward of dehydration and flushing toxins.
Topical Treatments and Recommendations
- Massaging cramping muscles and use heat to relieve pain.
- Avoid over working your muscles.
- Rub pure, unprocessed olive or flax seed oil into your muscles before and after strenuous exercise.
- Stretch before and after sleep times.